Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Feel Good Story

I wanted to share, at least what I thought to be, a feel good story. I believe this evening the #edchat discussion focused on the intense amount of negativity directed towards public school teachers. I was unable to participate, but certainly feel that criticism has been harsh and fails to acknowledge progressive educators who are working to re-envision learning in a way that moves beyond limited standards and incessant testing. My contribution to #edchat and the larger conversation about saving our schools is to pass along an email I received before leaving school for Memorial Day Weekend.

Earlier I has shared with my staff the video sensation Fifty People One Question. I asked if anyone would be interested in doing this at our school. Friday afternoon a teacher shared that he was having his students put together videos that followed the Fifty People format. He went on to say that he was working with one student to put together a segment and that the video would be dedicated to a senior student who is battling cancer.

The email explained the following:

"Since Student X got sick, who I have had for 5 classes in 4 years, I really wanted to put together a video for him. I think I am going to come up with a question that indirectly relates to his situation, and then dedicate the video to him. I am actually visiting him in the hospital this afternoon, and had this come up earlier, I might even bring the camera in there to ask him the question too. Maybe I still can after we get this rolling."


I just thought the idea was touching and would mean so much to a student who has to spend the last part of their senior year undergoing chemotherapy treatments. Not sure what it takes to "convince" people that kind and caring educators are tirelessly engaged in making a positive difference in the lives of students. Hopefully, situations like the one shared in this blog can build the bridges needed to make the kind of changes our schools require.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an older blog post, but I thought it fit in with the theme of my current blog post, so I hope it is ok if I linked it up. Thanks for the story! http://www.theorganizedclassroomblog.com/index.php/blog/feeling-low-about-teaching

    ReplyDelete