Monday, December 6, 2010

Changing Roles in the Classroom

I received the following response from a teacher. The reply was in response to a weekly podcast I send out to departments I oversee. I was touched by the teacher's genuine and reflective commentary.

"I was glad to hear you say that it was a good thing that the line between teacher and student was being blurred in some instances. For I found that that was the case with my classes last week. They did a research and presentation project that used technology that I had never manipulated before. Even though I "tutored" myself before we started the project, I still had to turn to them several times in order to have them teach me. Thus, it was as much of a learning experience for me as it was for them."

The last line of the response was refreshing. Classrooms need to be a place where all participants learn and grow. Without that standard, it is impossible to foster a learning environment that is authentic, challenging, meaningful and rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment